what is rose gold

What is rose gold?

What is rose gold?

Rose gold is pink gold due to a higher copper content in the alloy mixture to create either 14k rose gold or 18k rose gold. Copper has a pinkish orange color, so by adding this and part fine silver you get the pink to red tones.The higher the copper ratio to silver in the alloy the more red the outcome. Due to the high copper content rose gold is very durable ; harder than yellow gold of the same karat.

14k rose gold has the same gold purity as 14k yellow gold. However it has a higher copper content in the alloy. The same goes for 18k gold still having 75% gold purity, the other 25% a fine silver and copper mix, depending on the desired colour outcome.

Pink and red gold are varieties of rose gold.  Pink gold contains less copper so it has a lighter pink hue. Popular in Russia in the early 19th century, rose gold was termed “Russian Gold” for it’s widespread use in jewelry. Rose, pink and red gold has  a beautiful antique, vintage appeal and looks beautiful on all skin tones.

Due to the copper it is not  hyperallergenic, so if you have sensitivities to copper then I would suggest white or yellow gold as equally beautiful alternatives.

The Asherah Earrings  to the right are a beautiful example of the dreamy antique quality of rose gold.

rose gold earrings
rose gold rings

If you are desiring rose gold I most often create rings in 14k for durability.  When I custom design for you  I walk you through the process of selecting the best gold colour and karat to suit your taste and lifestyle.

Here is a photo of my Athena Ring created in white, yellow and rose gold so you can easily see the colour difference.

To get started on a spectacular rose gold design, contact me HERE. I would love to create something special for you!l

Enter to Win!

Each month I reward one loyal subscriber with an original creation. Simply provide your name and email to be entered.

As a member of my community, you'll also be the first to see new designs, sale items and the stories behind my creations. And there’s always a little surprise gem tucked in!

ENTER TO WIN

Each month I reward one loyal subscriber with an original creation. Simply provide your name and email below to be entered.

As a member of my community, you'll also be the first to see new designs, sale items and the stories behind my creations. And there’s always a little surprise gem tucked in!

You have been successfully entered into the draw!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This